1/27/14

A Homeschool Mom's Weekend Away {Weekend Reflecting}

Weekend Reflecting:
"The elder women likewise, that they be in such behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not subject to much wine, but teachers of honest things.
That they may instruct the young women to be sober minded, that they love their husbands, that they love their children,
That they be temperate, chaste, keeping at home, good and subject unto their husbands, that the word of God be not evil spoken of."
Titus 2:3-5 (Geneva Bible)
Joyful Socks serving at Winter Summit 2014

I cannot even begin to do justice to the amazing refreshment and encouragement that I received this weekend at the Homeschool Moms Winter Summit!  The weekend was full of wonderful gems of encouragement, renewal, and guilt-free conviction.  

I was able to fellowship and get real with other ladies that share the same struggles as I.  There is something just amazing about sharing your heart and confessing your short comings, while receiving no condemnation, but instead gaining a listening ear, a compassionate heart, and a moment in prayer with another homeschool mother with real problems too . . . just like you!  What a special moment when the Holy Spirit takes over and you are able to speak life & promises from God's Word, pouring them out in prayer over another homeschool mom.


What was an especially huge blessing to me were the many nuggets of truth that I gleaned on how to become a more godly wife.  It was amazing to realize that God does not give any commands on being a godly mother, but instead gives many commands on being a godly wife!  I came away with the realization that God still has much to accomplish with me in this area, but I am surrendered and ready for Him to do the shaping.  I think my husband will experience the honor of the respect that he has been long overdue!  I love the reminder over and over from Cheryl Lange (one of many amazing speakers), "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be righteous?!?"


Of course, no Winter Summit would be complete without the ability to laugh at the many unique and quirky situations we experience as homeschoolers.  There is something truly cleansing about the process of breaking through tears and into laughter.  Believe me, there was plenty of that going around. Laughter highlights included the hysterical Laurie as the "Perfet" Homeschool Mom; The M.C. team of Smockity Frocks, Lisa Pennington & The Marathon Mom; & the Girls Night Out Pajama "Beauty Contest" . . . and many other moments that just have to stay at Summit!

From Top Right Clockwise: Lisa Pennington strutting her morning walk, the "Good Morning" Homeschool Moms posing for the paparazzi, and Smockity Frocks with her morning cedar-fever look!

It is difficult to pin point one particular area of Winter Summit that was my favorite, but if I had to choose, it would be this amazing take-away from the founder & president of Winter Summit, the transparent cheer-leading Roxanne Parks . . .

"What if God intended homeschooling to sanctify you and your children, not to train them academically?"

Now there is a thought that is MORE THAN SOBERING TO ME!  I will tell you that, that one statement has brought me to my knees in humble reflection.  This is good stuff ladies . . . Be certain you do not miss Winter Summit next year.  I know you will be as blessed as I, and your husband and children will be thrilled with the new wife & mom that comes home!

Be sure to check out more Winter Summit fun on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook by following the #hsmwsummit hashtag.

Joyfully Learning with You,
The Joyful Socks Mom 

Be sure to keep up with Joyful Socks on PinterestTwitterInstagram & Facebook

Here are some more homeschool resources we recommend: 
  • It is not to early to start planning your weekend at Summit next year . . . Be there!  Homeschool Mom Winter Summer
  • Take a journey through Notebooking Success! Best notebooking resource for home educators. . .and beyond.
  • Wonder Maps is the homeschool geography that is great for using in your notebooks.


3 comments:

  1. Great post Heather! I loved reading the tweets you posted also. I need those one-line reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we got to spend some time together. You make me smile. Especially when I'm trying to "think". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was so blessed by all the encouragement over the weekend. Enjoyed everything! Glad to have met you!

    Rhonda Poteet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.