2/10/14

Supper Time: Vegetable Frittata {Gluten Free, Dairy Free Family Cooking}

This is a long overdue post, at least as far as some of my Instagram & Facebook friends are concerned.  I have been posting pictures of our family dinner time, highlighting my efforts to cook predominately real-food, gluten-free, dairy-free options for our family's varying nutritional needs ... and to meet the taste-buds and growing appetites of children and husband.  Really, it's not as difficult as I have made it sound.

The last couple of times that I have pictured my quick, easy and tasty Vegetable Frittata, my posting is followed by an influx of recipe requests.  

So, here you go . . .  The "Whatever-veggies-you-have" Vegetable Frittata

Ingredients:
12-14 Farm fresh eggs
1/2 cup onion (chopped finely)
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 cup of chopped veggies . . . whatever you have, seriously, it will be good.
2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Roma tomato for garnish


A well-seasoned cast iron skillet is essential to baking a great-tasting frittata.

Directions:
1.  Season your cast iron skillet with whatever oil you prefer to use.  I prefer extra virgin coconut oil or olive oil.  IMPORTANT: Warm skillet in the oven before mixing frittata ingredients.  I place mine on 275 degrees while I'm working on chopping, mixing and such.

2.  Warm oil in a stove-top skillet and fry onions and garlic until onions are translucent in color.  Add your fresh vegetables and stir-fry until they are slightly tender.

3.  Beat eggs and then mix together with vegetables.  Salt & pepper to taste.  I usually grab fresh thyme, rosemary & dill from the herb garden if I have it.  Add the mixture to your pre-warmed iron skillet.  Add tomato slices for garnish.  Cook on 350 degrees until center is cooked.  Approximately 20 minutes.

4.  Slice frittata in wedges and garnish with salsa.  We enjoy this dish for both breakfast and supper.

In the Vegetable Frittata pictured below I cooked with broccoli, kale, tomato, cauliflower, and celery.
This frittata is dairy free.  The farm fresh eggs give it the look like it has cheese, but it does not.  That's actually the way eggs should look, just sayin.


I hope you enjoy some real-food eating and real-family time around your dinner table too!

How frequently do you and your family eat at the table for supper???

Joyfully Learning with You,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.