- Promotes family discussion and cohesiveness
- Reflects proper reading skills to younger children
- Helps children build a broader range of vocbulary
Say what? That's right, I said "R.O.C.K.! " This is my simple acronym that helps me in choosing books and literature for my family read-a-louds:
REAL - This means choosing living books. Charlotte Mason was the originator of the phrase living book. Home Hearts defines a living book as a book selection that ". . . is usually written by an author who is very knowledgeable about his subject, many times in an experiential way. The author tends to write from a love of his subject, one that propels him to write with an enthusiasm that excites the imagination of the reader and carries him along as though experiencing the subject first-hand." Choosing books from authors that are both knowledgeable and passionate about their subject is imperative. Enthusiasm is a great educator!
OBSERVATIONS - The books chosen should bring a clear observation about life and people.
CHARACTER - Choosing books that help to build good character and help a child attain real-world applications, are essential to home education.
KNOWLEDGE - The reading of a good book should teach a lesson or moral, and not just entertain.
Here are 25 Family Read Aloud Books that R.O.C.K.!
1. In Freedom's Cause by: G.A. Henty
|In Freedom's Cause|
2. Iron Men by: Howard Pyle
|Men of Iron|
3. The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by: Howard Pyle
|The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood |
4. - 14. The entire "Hornblower" series by: C.S. Forester
15. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by: C.S. Lewis
16. Trial and Triumph by: Richard Hannula
17. The Cabin Faced West by: Jean Fritz
20. Swiss Family Robinson by: Johann David Wyss
21. The Trapp Family Singers by: Maria Augusta Trapp
23. Christian Heroes Tales: Then and Now series
|Christian Heroes, Books 1-5|
24. The Little Princess by: Frances Hodgson Burnett
25. Little House series by: Laura Ingalls Wilder
Do you have any tried and true family read aloud books that R.O.C.K. too? Be sure to leave a comment below on what books R.O.C.K. in your house!
Happy Family Reading!
The Joyful Socks Mom
Here are some more homeschool resources we recommend:
- Notebooking Success is the #1 Notebook Resource! This teacher gives this eBook an A+
- No "falling" behind on Homeschool organizing! Get the Weekly Homeschool Planner today!
- Bright Ideas Press - The curriculum that Moms Love! Home of the Mystery of History.