2/6/13

DIY: Laundry Detergent {Recipes}

I have recently been doing much to reduce the amount of "stuff" in our home, return to simpler living and reduce the cost-of-living.  One practice that I have continually used over the last three years is to make our own laundry soap.  It is a simple process, it has few ingredients and is a great place to start reducing and simplifying in your home.



1 cup of grated soap (I use all natural goat's milk soap)
10 drops of lavender (or whatever essential oil floats-your-boat) 
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax 
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA)

Grate your soap using a separate cheese grater (do not use the same grater for cheese, please!)
Mix together in separate bowl the borax and super washing soda, then add drops of essential oil.  Mix together well and add grated soap.  Place in a container for daily use.

Use 1 Tablespoon with each load of laundry.  This recipe is great for High Efficiency washers.  DO NOT be alarmed with the "lack of suds"!  Suds are produced in typically detergents by foaming agents that are believed to be hazardous to your health.  NO PROBLEMS choosing to kick that habit!

Here is another simple recipe that I like as well:
I will usually triple this batch when making my own laundry soap.  This lasts me about two - three months and typically costs me about $0.06 per load.  Not too shabby!

What are is your favorite brand or laundry soap recipe?

Joyfully Learning as I Go,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.