2/1/13

Joyful Sock's homeschool day in the life (with 9-, 13- & 14-year-old): Giving Thanks!

I was encouraged and inspired this past weekend at the Homeschool Winter Summit to see and focus on the good.  This is an area that I, a sarcasm queen to the core, need to bring into constant submission and surrender before the throne of God.  

I reflected on my own homeschooling day, and realized whether I am staring down the day at perfectly laid lessons plans, or a pile of ungraded papers, I have much to be thankful for in home education.  Thankfulness is the cure for the common homeschool day!


A Homeschool Day in the Life Giving Thanks:


  • I AM THANKFUL to wake between 5:30 am and, well 7:30 am . . . dependent on the season, mood or day of the week.  I snuggle with my coffee, Bible and devotional.
  • Kids wake between 7:00 - 7:30 am.  Honestly, this has not been going so smooth with two teenagers, as of late.  But I have flowers that are loud, that sing and dance, I AM THANKFUL . . . I win!
  • I AM THANKFUL my 13-year-old son begins morning family devotional.
  • Everyone should be dressed and ready to pursue their personal Bible study time by 8:30 am & I AM THANKFUL when this actually happens.  This also ensures if mom slept later, she still gets her time with Jesus.  Believe me, you want me to have that time!
  • Thankful for the 3 R's! After breakfast & chores we disperse to our own Reading, Writing and Arithmetic studying.  Thank you to Dr. Robinson for streamlining this entire process & making my life a little simpler!

  • I AM THANKFUL for the learning and creative moments we share all together during Circle Time.

Jamestown History Lab.

Colonial Corn Cakes during Cooking.

Painting experimentation during Art: Harmony Fine Arts


  • I AM THANKFUL for afternoons filled with hand-work, playtime and individual pursuits!
The Bug enjoys all her Natural Play toys.


Making Amish Friendship bread.


The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E . . . ENGAGE!


See, mommy can even entertain herself!

  • I AM THANKFUL to have the freedom to educate at home, the grace to make everyday new through Christ Jesus, and the privilege to get to hang out with the hippest kids on the block!
Thank you for joining me in . . . well, thanks!
The Joyful Socks Mom 

Where are we at?  This post is our contribution to A Homeschool Day in the Life over at SimpleHomeschool.net

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my "Day in the life" post! I like your "Thankful" theme for telling about your day. What a great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post about your day! And thanks for stopping by my place as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.