12/11/11

Ladies of Calvary - 30 Day Marriage Challenge - Day 6


30 Day Challenge: As Unto the Lord – Day 6

Today we will be taking a big hunk out of our Bible Study, so get ready for a hearty "spiritual" meal.  The focus of today’s devotional deals with serious issues of the heart, which means we are moving on beyond spiritual “milk”, to that of greater sustenance sisters.  Rejoice! 

Before we begin, let me clarify again that I am a partner and disciple in this study, coming alongside each of you.  I am joining in this journey out of my own need to submit to God’s direction for my own life and to be obedient to His calling alone.  Please realize I join humbly with each of you, and nothing is said in condemnation, but in truth, partnership and prayer.

Reverence in Heart, Part 6

1. “Do I recognize and seek to fulfill my God-given role as helper to my husband?”

Genesis 2:18, 1 Corinthians 11:8-9

2. “Do I seek to submit to my husband in the same way that Jesus submitted to the Spirit?”

1 Peter 2:23b and 31:1a, John 4:34

Focus scripture Matthew 11:29

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” Matthew 11:29 NKJV

3. “Is my attitude toward my husband an accurate picture of the believer’s reverence and love for Christ?”

Ephesians 5:24

Focus scripture: Ephesians 5:31-32

“For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”  Ephesians 5:31-32

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Whew!  See, I told you it was a lot.

The steps leading to trusting and obeying the Lord in these matters will take much courage and conviction to change.  The fact that you are still reading these devotionals and committing them to your spirit is a testimony and proof that you are seeking the Lord in your life and marriage.  Be encouraged that faith is pleasing to God and He will honor these faithful acts in your life.  

All of that being said, let’s get down to the “tough-stuff”.  Let us take these devotionals and question ourselves, asking how we have conducted our hearts in our own marriage.  Have I been a proper help meet?  Have I let the kingdom of God rule and reign in your heart and guide your obedience to your husband’s requests?  Have I been a helper that does not question the authority of your husband?  Do I submit to his requests and preferences, even when it seems insignificant?  Here is a hint for you my beloved sister, being submitted is significant no matter what the request.

Example.  My husband prefers that I keep the vehicle clean and organized, even amidst the strife of hauling three kids around town, it is what he prefers.  This is not an easy feat when considering the constant commute with the three messiest sweetest children known to humanity (slight exaggeration).  In the grand scheme of things, one could write-this-one-off as not truly important to obey.  However; what is important are consistent actions that communicate to my husband that I respect his authority over our family.  In realization, the 5 minutes it ACTUALLY takes to clean out the car with the kids after each use, is far less significant an amount of time to sacrifice, compared to the end result of painting a more accurate picture of respect toward my husband, right?  My children, as well as myself, stand to gain much more from submitting to what my husband prefers, rather than spending needless moments in rebellion just “because we can”.

Choosing submission means choosing the leading of the Spirit, just as Jesus did.  We must surrender the flesh of our own wants and even desires, in order to bring Him glory and to receive all that I truly do need in my marriage.

*Join in our study tomorrow as we complete our “Reverence in Heart” check-up. *

In Christ’s service,
Sister Mac
(a.k.a. Joyful Socks Mom)

·        All quotes in italics are taken directly from the book As Unto The Lord by Pam Forester unless otherwise sited in this post.
Philippians 2:13
“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this study. I'm not really sure how to say it ...thank you Jesus for drawing me closer to you, to becoming more like you and for helping me to be the help meet you created me to be. God bless you, Heather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.