12/17/11

Day 11: Ladies of Calvary - 30 Day Marriage Challenge

30 Day Challenge: As Unto the Lord – Day 11

Reverence in Word, Part 4

We are rolling right along, dear sisters, in our hope of changing the culture in our marriage and bringing glory to God.  I have been encouraged and challenged by the precepts we are learning more about each day.  I am amazed at the blessings (however small they may seem to others) that following God’s Word in my marriage brings to my family and home.  I am blessed this week to be laughing more with my own husband and enjoy more quiet moments in sweet fellowship.  I am blessed to be finding it easier to “let things slide” and keep my mind and heart focused in a more honoring way.  God is so good!

Let’s move forward now in examining and practicing “Reverence in Word” and cover some ground in using words with the right purpose of heart.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

1. “In all the words that I speak to my husband is my purpose to humbly serve him, to build him up, and to be a minister of God’s grace in his life?”

Scripture references – Romans 14:19, Matthew 20:28, Proverbs 31:12

Focus today on Ephesians 4:29

“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”  Ephesians 4:29NKJV

2. “Do I keep my word with my husband?  Do I honor the promises and commitments that I have made?”

Scripture reference – Deuteronomy 23:23, Proverbs 25:14

Focus scripture Psalm 15:1, 4b, 5b

“LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? Who shall dwell in thy holy hill? . . . He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. . . He that doeth these things shall never be moved.”  Psalm 15:1, 4b, 5b NKJV

3. “Am I honest with my husband, not withholding information and being careful to always say what is clearly true?”

Scripture references – 2 Corinthians 8:21, Psalm 51:6, Proverbs 16:13

Focus scripture Ephesians 4:25

“Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another.”  Ephesians 4:25 NKJV

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

What is it about our nature that thinks it is completely acceptable to be contemptuous with those closest to us?  We have all been there at one time or another, finding ourselves saying the most deplorable comments to those we love the most.  I have found that purposing to build up my husband in order to “be a minister of God’s grace in his life” can be easily said, but more difficultly done at times.  

I am a visual learner.  You can tell me how to do something a million times a day and it will not sink in (are you glimpsing the struggles of my previous instructors), but if you show me . . . well, then we are all good to go.  The same method is best when walking out my own faith and God’s precepts in my life.  Example: I need scripture surrounding me, even on the walls of my home, to be a visual reminder of the spiritual truths that God has so mercifully revealed in my life.  

I will now apply this learning method to this portion of our study.  In order to remind myself of the commitment and purpose to “humbly serve”, “build up” and “be a minister of God’s grace” I have created a visual daily reminder to use.  I took pictures of my husband and children and made a little scrapbook page.  Then I surrounded these pictures with words and scriptures that daily remind me of my purpose and plan in God’s will.  Words like: edify, encourage, and lift-up.  Then I selected a prominent area of my home that I see consistently throughout the day (the bathroom mirror) in order to be visual reminder. When I visually connect with these pictures and words then, I begin to spiritually connect to this excellent truth and precept of God.  The Lord then touches my spirit making it easier to crucify my flesh and will, swallow my pride and keep moving forward in His promises.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Memory Verse

Do not forget to commit our memory verse to your heart this week.  We will have a new verse Sunday.

Ephesians 5:21-22

“Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.”

*Remember your Weekly Challenge? Challenge Project #1:“Review Your Wedding Vows” - - - Please come sign on the blog and share your experience.  What did you do to complete this project?  How was it received by your hubby?  What did you like best about this challenge?  What did you like the least?
Did you miss the Challenge Project?  Go back and check it out to join in!  I will be posting on Monday this coming week to share my own Challenge Project outcome & post our new project.

In Christ’s service,

Sister Mac
(a.k.a. Joyful Socks Mom)

Tomorrow, we will continue with Reverence of Word by asking some of our more difficult questions, asking ourselves if we talk to much, or not enough. 

*Please remember to make comments directly to this blog if possible.  Simply click on the title of this post above (in the email) and you will be redirected to the blog.  Once there, you can post a comment at the bottom of the lesson.*

·        Quotations used that are italicized are from the book As Unto the Lord by Pam Forester unless otherwise sited in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing our blog with your joyful comments.